Please check if you can find the answer below. If you cannot find the answer to your question, we are happy to help. You can contact us by email at email@example.com or by telephone on +31 (0)20 496 91 72
- How can I choose or reset my wave?
When you log into our website , you can select a wave or adjust your previous choice via your personal profile. Is your preferred wave not there anymore ? Then this wave is unfortunately already full. Keep the wave count an eye . Once a place is available, the wave returns to the menu.
- I made a donation, but it does not appear at the personal page of the participant. Have I done something wrong?
If the donation has not yet appeared on the participants page , this is usually by one of the following reasons ;
- You have made the donation via direct debit . Processing a debit takes on average 10 days. Once the donation is received by us , it will automatically appear at our site !
- The donation is accidentally ended up on the ” general donation counter . Send us an email via firstname.lastname@example.org with the donation confirmation and the name of the subscriber for whom the gift was intended. We will put your donation through to the right page!
- There was an error in your payment. Please check whether the donation is debited of your account. If so, please send us a print screen of the payment-confirmation so we can put the donation live at the website.
- If the above reasons do not apply , please contact us via email@example.com or via 020-496 91 72. We are happy to help !
- How can I register as a Volunteer
We are very happy and proud that every year many volunteers for the Amsterdam City Swim and the participants are ready ! Without volunteers, no ACS !
- How do I get as a member e-ticket/startnumber
Mid-August each participant will receive his or her e-ticket by email
(Note : This is the email address provided at registration)
- How much donation money do I need to collect?
We ask each participant to raise a minimum of € 400 for ALS Foundation Netherlands . And each participant of the ACS for Kids a minimum of € 100.
We organize the Amsterdam City Swim with the aim to collect as many donations of money for Stichting ALS Nederland. Participants will have to the end of September the opportunity to raise donation money .
- Will there be ACS trainings and / or do you get training tips ?
Yes ! Do you want to be well prepared and trained at the start ? Then go to work with a personal training schedule (*) of the KNZB.nl.
In June and August we organize every Monday evening training in open water. Location and times will be announced at a later date .
* For swimming 2017 meters we recommend the training schedules on recreational, sporting , or on the performance level.
- How is the security guaranteed in the water?
Thanks to the cooperation with Waternet , KNZB , KNRM and the Royal Navy, we are equipped with qualified EHBOérs in the water, lifeguards and the necessary vessels .
The route is marked by buoys in the water and ” pads ” which are fixed at obstacles in the water. In addition, the route will be completely closed to crossing traffic.
- Who occurs during the After Party ?
That’s a surprise , but it will be certainly a flashing party!
- How am I sure my donation for ALS through the Amsterdam City Swim website is going to ALS
- The total donation amount of the ACS is sent to ALS Foundation Netherlands ;
- We have a separate account for all (and only) donation money;
- On the recommendation of ALS Foundation Netherlands and after validation by the Amsterdam City Swim Foundation Board, approval takes place of the projects to which the donation money is spent ;
- There is ongoing attention to further improving (international ) by spending IF donation funds;
- The organization communicates at”news” about the project and use of funds and the progress of the projects .
- What does the anti-bow policy and ANBI status mean?
With the “Anti-bow policy” we mean that all the revenue from sponsorship and subscriptions after deduction of the organizational costs and start-up costs for the next edition and all donations (100%), go to the ALS Foundation Netherlands.
After the event, the total amount will be made public. Stichting Amsterdam City Swim is registered as a General Benefit Institution (ANBI). As a result, donations to Stichting Amsterdam City Swim are free from gift tax.
Donors can also take advantage of tax benefits related to the gifts made to the Foundation Amsterdam City Swim. Private donors can deduct their gifts under terms of the income tax. For companies, it is possible to deduct their gifts under conditions of corporation tax.
- How do you separate the entry fees and donations?
We keep the entry fee and donations separate because we work with two different accounts .
On one account, the registration fees , the donations are deposited at the other account. The donations are 100% benefit to the ALS Foundation Netherlands.
- How do you organize the possibilities for changing clothes and showering ?
Participants can change clothes at the Marine Etablissement .
Here they can leave their belongings in a secure space . At the finish over the canal there is the possibility to take a shower ( cold water). Here, bathrobes, slippers and towels are handed out
- WIll there be transfers available from Amsterdam Central Station to the Marine Etablissement ?
The organization makes no transport available from Amsterdam Central Station to the MEA.
From Amsterdam Central Station to the Marine Etablissement Amsterdam is about 10 minutes walk . The address of the Marine Establishment is Kattenburgerstraat 7 in Amsterdam. Also regular city buses are driving for the Marine Establishment . From Amsterdam Central Station Take bus 48 towards Borneo island. This bus stops and leaves in the immediate area of the main entrance of the Marine Etablissement Amsterdam (stop Kattenburgerplein ) . You can also take bus 22 . It runs to the maritime museum.
- Will you count a time advantage of swimming in a wetsuit ?
We recommend that participants have to swim with a wetsuit . Moreover, the Amsterdam City Swim is not an official match , although each participant receives a timing afterwards. Only the first wave goes ( and named ) as a wave contest , participants who can complete the distance within 30 minutes may sign up for this ( full is full).
- What is your wetsuit/shorty advice?
The organization advises to swim the Amsterdam City Swim in a well fitting wetsuit or a shorty and thereby follow the schedule below.
Swimming with a wetsuit or shorty, provides you with extra warmth and buoyancy . Certainly not trained swimmers will be advisabed to follow this advice. In addition, we also recommend to train a number of times with a tight fitting wetsuit ! Look at our webshop for the Amsterdam City Swim wetsuits.
- How many participants may join the Amsterdam City Swim ?
In 2016 we charge with 2500 participants and a total of 600 participants in the Amsterdam City Swim for Kids ( 300 kids with supervisors) .
The Amsterdam City Swim Board of the Foundation reserves the right to adjust this number .
- What does the organization do as the controlling authority does not approve the water?
If the water presents a danger to the health of the participants, additional measures will be taken such as redirecting or shortening the route or cancel at the worst situation.
Health and safety is our main concern and is highly valued . We assume no risk. Ultimately , the Board of the Stichting Amsterdam City Swim takes the decision. We let us hereby advise extensively by Waternet , KNRM , Medical and Public Health
- I accidentally made a general donation " , Is it possible to attach it to a participant?
Sure you can!
Send us an email via firstname.lastname@example.org with the donation confirmation and the name of the participant to who the donation was intended to. We make sure that the donation as soon as possible is linked to the participant and his or her personal page.
- What is the quality of the water during the Amsterdam City Swim ?
Water quality is monitored throughout the year by Waternet.
Over the past four years met these controls the standards for swimwater, but an exceptional situation did for the weekend of September 6, 2015.
Exceptional situation in 2015
Water quality in 2015
Due to heavy rainfall prior to the Amsterdam City Swim sewers could not handle the water temporarily. There is therefore on the Friday prior to the ACS sewage ended up in the canals. The massive rainfall led to extremely high water in Amsterdam and Amstelland. Rijkswaterstaat and Waternet then pumped water out of the canals with full force in order to lower the water level.
The excess water in the canals of Amsterdam was temporarily with power pumped out of the city to the IJ Lake and the North Sea; thus flowed water from the polders outside Amsterdam in the city. The result was that water from outside Amsterdam supplanted all the water from the canals. Open water whose bacteriological quality was unknown. After careful consideration, the board of the ACS has decided to Swim on September 6 because of the consideration that you can swim in open water in the Netherlands.
The participants were prior to the Swim informed about the situation.
Our partner Waternet monitors throughout the year the canal water on the trail of the Amsterdam City Swim. The quality of water has improved in recent years. A major cause of this is the construction of sewerage (completed late 1987) and the construction of a new treatment in Amsterdam West (2006). Since then Amsterdam the treated sewage will not be coming into the pits. In recent years, almost all 2500 houseboats connected to the sewer. Although the water of the swimming course is no official swimwater, the measured values are mostly within the swimwater standard. Deviations from the norm bathing occur during heavy rainfall so that the sewers overflow. Therefore Waternet also records the overflow of sewers in and around the swimming course. In particular findings will Waternet contact the board of the Amsterdam City Swim. Decisions about the event are taken by the board.
- Who controls the quality of the water during ACS in 2017?
Our partner Waternet monitors the entire year the canal water on the trail of the Amsterdam City Swim
The quality of water has improved in recent years. A major cause of this is the construction of sewerage (completed late 1987) and the construction of a new treatment in Amsterdam West ( 2006).
Since then the treated sewage will not be coming into the pits . In recent years, almost all 2500 houseboats connected to the sewer . Although the water of the swimming course is no official swimwater , the measured values are mostly within the swimwater standard. Deviations from the norm swimming occures during heavy rainfall so that the sewers overflow. Therefore Waternet also records the overflow of sewers in and around the swimming course . In particular findings Waternet will contact the board of the Amsterdam City Swim . Decisions about the event will always be taken by the board.