Since swimming in open (often dark and cold) waters, which is rather different from a regulated and clean swimming pool, we recommend all participants to follow at least one training in open water prior to the Amsterdam City Swim. As such, we organize training evenings prior to the main event in the months June and August. Every training an instructor of Personal Swimming will be present to help you with swimming techniques in open water. We will start the training with a theoretical part (15 min.) in which we will explain the techniques you will need for open water swimming.
Of course we organize the Amsterdam City Swim to raise money for charity. That is why we ask all participants to pay an amount of €5,- to cover the organization costs (KNRM, EHBO, Crew etc.) (You can pay cash at the entrance).
Dates & times
The last training will take place on the 28th of August. All participants are welcome from 05:00 p.m. and are able to change clothes. At 05:30 p.m. you can enter the water of join the Personal Swimming theoretical part. Of course you have the possibility to start later. Till 08.00 p.m. you can start and at 08:30 the training will finish.
Route and accessibility
The trainings will be organized at the Rowing Association RIC next to the Amstel.
Adress: Korte Ouderkerkerdijk 32, Amsterdam
You can park in the neigherbood (see practical information) and the metrostation Spaklerweg can be reached by foot. Bicycles can be parked at the entrance of the location in the cycle shed.
- There are ladies- and gentlemen changingrooms in which you can take a hot shower afterwards.
- There is no secured wardrobe. You have the possibility to leave your bag in a designated space. We discourage to bring valuable stuff. There are a few lockers available.
- After the training you can have a drink together. You are able to order a drink or snack at the bar (with terrace)
- There are limited (payed) parking spots in the area. You could park your car at the business park at the Spaklerweg / Daniel Goedkoopstraat (Spaklerweg 44a, Amsterdam). You can reach the park by foot. The first 90 minutes are for free, afterwards you will pay €4,- an hour.
- In august our partner Reisprik will offer every participant of the Amsterdam City Swim a DTP vaccination at the training. If you would like to get a vaccination then, we aks you kindly to let us know on forehand. Check this page often for more information about the date and possibilities to sign up.
Would you like to have a personal clinic with your business team of with a group to be extra prepared for the Amsterdam City Swim? Have a look in our webshop. We offer you this clinic in cooperation with our partner Personal Swimming from €295,-