The Amsterdam City Swim dedicates itself to raising as much money as possible for the Dutch ALS Foundation. But this is also a day where we can make new memories together and enjoy each other's company. People with ALS/PSMA/PLS are the real VIPs (Very Important Patients) of this event. For them and their loved ones, we want to make this day extra special. Therefore, the Amsterdam City Swim offers patients the opportunity to be present in various ways on Sunday 3rd September 2023 you can join us:
1. As a visitor along the quay and at the Marineterrein
2. In the water with or without assistance and aids
Option 1: As a visitor along the quay and at the Marineterrein
Are you coming to support your team, or do you want to experience a special day with your family or friends? We would like to invite you and two guests to be present during the Amsterdam City Swim 2023. Register yourself and your guests in advance:
Option 2: Join us in the water
It is also possible to enter the water as a participant. This year, the 700 metre route can be completed by adult participants. So, you can choose whether you would like to participate in the shorter distance or the total route of 2.1 kilometres.
Can't swim independently (anymore)? Then it is possible to 'swim along' in a special dry suit or to 'float along'. The aim is to guide everyone to the finish as safely and smoothly as possible so together, we can see what is needed to make this happen. Would you like to participate swimming? Then we ask you to go through the following points:
- Every situation is unique. Therefore, we ask you to first consult a medical specialist, for example your rehabilitation doctor, about your possible participation and discuss possible limitations and risks with your medical professional.
- Would you like to discuss what aids are available with someone? Then you should contact the ALSopdeweg Foundation. They specialise in providing aids for ALS/PSMA/PLS patients and have been involved in the Amsterdam City Swim for many years.
- The starting pontoon on the Keizersgracht canal is wheelchair-friendly and accessible by ramp. Aids and wheelchairs are brought back to the finish line so that they are ready when you get out of the water. There is also a shuttle service available.
- The KNRM lifeguards will ensure the safety of all participants and help patients in the water.
We ask you to enter the water with at least two companions to support you. They may also swim along for free.
Would you like to join us?
Register yourself and your guests in advance using the button below. We will then send you all the information you need, including the discount codes (for you and your companions), to register as a free swimmer. You can register to swim with us until 1st August 2023.
Facilities at the event site
Every year, we are very happy to welcome many people with ALS/PSMA/PLS. We aim to make the grounds as wheelchair-friendly as possible:
- There is ample opportunity to park or be dropped off at the event site. In the week prior, you will receive access tickets and parking cards for this purpose from us.
- Disabled toilet facilities are available at the tent, changing rooms, start and finish. A passive hoist is available.
- There is the possibility to sit quietly, outside the amplified sound.
- There is access on the finish pontoon to see all the swimmers finish.
- There is a shuttle service to the start (Keizersgracht) and back to the event site. If you use special transport (e.g. if you are in an electric wheelchair), we can give you an exemption for parking at the Keizersgracht.
- The (walking) distance from the start to the finish (Marineterrein) is 2.5 kilometres and requires about 30-60 minutes of walking time (depending on crowds around the event).
- First aiders, doctors and nurses will be present.
- Includes consumption credit for food and drinks. If you have special requirements for this, we would like to ask you to let us know via the registration form.
- We do our utmost to make the entire terrain as wheelchair-friendly as possible. If you have specific wishes, please let us know so we can take them into account.
Costs and registration
There is no charge for ALS/PSMA/PLS patients to attend or swim along as a visitor. Two guests or companions can also attend or swim along free of charge. To register yourself, we would like to ask you to fill in this form so that we can prepare entry tickets for you and your guests.
Want to know more?
Would you like to participate in the Amsterdam City Swim, but do you have any questions beforehand?
Then feel free to contact us via e-mail. Or send an e-mail to the ALS Foundation.